January 22, 2012

Hurling into Oblivion



“I have realized; it is during the times I am far outside my element that I experience myself the most. That I see and feel who I really am, the most. I think that's what a comet is like, you see, a comet is born in the outer realms of the universe! But it's only when it ventures too close to our sun or to other stars that it releases the blazing "tail" behind it and shoots brazen through the heavens. And meteors become sucked into our atmosphere before they burst like firecrackers and realize that they're shooting stars.” ― C. JoyBell C.



Lately I’ve been thinking about how there’s a lack of challenging endeavors in my life. I mean sure I get up, go to work, spend time with family and friends, write, occasionally I organize charitable events. But there’s no clear challenge in that. When I complete a task I don’t feel accomplished. It’s just another check mark on a list of things to do. I crave that feeling of nervous anxiety that coils in my stomach when I’m thrown into a new task.

The quickening of my heartbeat when a situation I don’t quite understand requires my attention. The warmth and excitement I feel rush into my body when the light bulb goes off and realization finally kicks in. It’s like a burst of energy shoots through me and accomplishment settles in my chest. I used to be the kind of person who when I got going about something I believed in I sucked the room in with my energy and enthusiasm. I miss that girl. I’m convinced it’s the challenge of it all. Everyone who has ever been anyone has faced some sort of a challenge.

A few days ago it was Martin Luther King Jr. Day. He changed our world in ways that will always be remembered. I bet dealing with racism and naysayers every time he stood at a podium in front of thousands of people speaking about freedom and dreams, was a challenge. And I’m sure if he had lived long enough to see the change that he started come to fruition he’d certainly feel accomplished.

Or what about Bethany Hamilton, one of the greatest surfers out there, who was attacked by a tiger shark and lost one of her arms? I bet getting up and going out there every day after that, training to do what she loved was a challenge; one that wound up getting her first place in the Explorer Women’s division of the 2005 NSSA National Championships. I’m pretty sure that left her with a sense of accomplishment.

Now obviously I’m not in the same league as either of these two people, but I like to think that everyone has their own unique way to contribute to the world all they have to do is find it. It’s been my experience that people who go outside their comfort zone, people who hurl themselves into the unknown have a much more fulfilling life and that’s what I want. To throw caution to the wind and just put myself out there.

Travel the world, observe different cultures, be a part of life and not just a spectator in it, which is kind of what I’ve been feeling like lately. I want to feel like I’m venturing into new territory and shooting out into the world making it a better place. Sure it sounds cheesy, but hey everyone out there wants to feel like they’re a part of something, I know I want that.

So, why not be different? Why not use whatever we have at our disposal to take the world by storm? It might just be one thing that makes you shine or it could be a dozen, but you’ll never know until you get out there, challenge yourself, and take a chance. Who knows what's out there waiting for you to find it in the uncharted waters of the universe.

“That's why I enjoy taking myself out of my own element, my own comfort zone, and hurling myself out into the unknown. Because it's during those scary moments, those unsure steps taken, that I am able to see that I'm like a comet hitting a new atmosphere: suddenly I illuminate magnificently and fire dusts begin to fall off of me! I discover a smile I didn't know I had, I uncover a feeling that I didn't know existed in me...I see myself. I'm a shooting star. A meteor shower. But I'm not going to die out. I guess I'm more like a comet then. I'm just going to keep on coming back.” ― C. JoyBell C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...