January 13, 2012

Review: I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell



“My name is Tucker Max, and I am an asshole. I get excessively drunk at inappropriate times, disregard social norms, indulge every whim, ignore the consequences of my actions, mock idiots and posers, sleep with more woman than is safe or reasonable, and just generally act like a raging dickhead,” wrote Tucker Max in 'I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell.'



In 2002, Max started off with a computer, a girlfriend application, and a website (www.TuckerMax.com). Now, seven years later his novel, 'I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell' (IHTSBIH) has earned him a spot on the New York Times Bestseller list, and will be making its way to the big screen on Friday, September 25, 2009. This autobiographical novel is filled with 271 pages of the most vilely, disgusting, hilarious tales of drunken youth I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. From the titles of all 27 stories, to the appendix one and two, Max has depicted all that is wrong with the world in his book and yet, I couldn’t bring myself to feel repulsed enough to stop reading.

In my 23 years I have never laughed as hard as when I read IHTSBIH. Max is the only writer I’ve come across so far who makes debauchery and incomprehensible behavior seem attractive. Throughout the book the common denominator in most stories are alcohol and sex, or sex and alcohol. He is a college graduate with a J.D. from Duke Law School who spends his time writing about the not so legal adventures he took part in, in his early twenties.

“I met Rachel at some ill-conceived fundraiser for infant amputees with swollen spinal cords…She was one of the organizers, very good looking, and seemed normal, which is very significant in Florida…The first date she only reaffirmed my initial impression: not dumb, but not bright, not interesting, but not totally repellant. This girl was there as a human being, but that’s about it,” wrote Max in IHTSBIH.

There aren’t many words to describe how nasty this book is, but that’s what makes it great. No one in their right mind could read this book and not laugh at how revolting his personal theories on life and people were at that age. The sheer cruelty of some of the stories makes you sit there and ponder just how someone gets themselves into those kinds of situations. I mean come on, I’m sure everyone reading this has been drunk at least once, but I doubt anyone has ever been Tucker Max Drunk. (See appendix two in IHTSBIH for the definition of Tucker Max Drunk.)

I think the New York Times said it best when they said IHTSBIH is “highly entertaining and thoroughly reprehensible.” It doesn’t get much better than this book. If you have weak stomach this is not the book for you. My advice is, if you haven’t read this book go out and buy a copy, preferably before the movie comes out in September. You think you’ve done some appalling things in your life? You don’t know what appalling is until you’ve read IHTSBIH.

For those of you reading this who have read IHTSBIH, how excited are you about his next book 'Assholes Finish First'? I know I can’t be the only one. If you are looking for an entertaining read, something that will both disgust you and keep you laughing go pick up IHTSBIH.

“All the events depicted in the stories are completely true. Only certain dates, characteristics, and places are changed to protect me from criminal prosecution or civil liability. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed living it,” wrote Max.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...