December 24, 2012

Guest Post: Agnes Embile Jimenez - Teens and Depression

Today we are pleased to welcome author Agnes Jimenez to Pink Fluffy Hearts where she'll be talking about teens, depression, and how to keep the two from colliding.

♥ ♥ ♥

Top 5 Ways for Parents to Keep Their Teen Away From Depression

Most people associate depression mainly with adults. However, the condition can also affect young people. According to statistics published by Johns Hopkins Medicine site, 5% of teenagers suffer from depression, out of which only 30% seek or receive medical attention. The rest, 70%, are potential victims of suicide attempts. In fact, figures published by the aforementioned site show that suicide ranks as the third leading cause of death among teenagers. Steps that you can take to keep your teen from sliding into depression include:

Learn About Depression

This should be the first step if you would like to keep your teen away from depression. Obviously, the more you know about depression, the better equipped you will be able to help your teen. Here are some triggers of depression as well as how they are likely to affect your teen.

Social Interaction

Isolation is one of the symptoms exhibited by teens with depression. If this is the case, encourage your teen to interact with friends and be more outgoing. In addition, accompany your teen to social activities such as parties, sports, or after school clubs. The goal is to make sure that your teen takes part in interesting activities.

Physical Activity

Of course, physical activity has many health benefits. A study carried out by the Menzies Research Institute, University of Tasmania found that physical activity reduces the risk of depression. Moderate levels of physical activity tend to reduce the prevalence of depression by almost 50%. The study also found out that low levels of physical activity could reduce depression risk by up to 45%.

Be Understanding

Although this is a no brainer, many parents usually fail to understand what their teens are going through. As a result, you may live in the same house with a teen who feels rejected and hopeless. Therefore, take time to sit talk and listen to your teen.

Create Conducive Environment at Home

Fights involving parents can affect teens negatively leading, and eventually lead to depression. Make sure you resolve relationships issues without involving your kids. Verbal and physical abuse can cause behavioral problems and severe depression. The United Nations Secretary-General's Study on Violence against Children found that up to 275 million children experience violence at home.

Depression in teens may lead to despair and thoughts of committing suicide. However, you can take steps early to help your teen avoid depression. These steps include encouraging your teen to take up physical activity and interact with other friends and family. Learning about the illness will also come in handy.

Thank you so much for stopping by Agnes! For more information on Agnes and her blog check out the links below!

♥ ♥ ♥

Author Bio:

Agnes Jimenez is a professional blogger and writer. She writes for many online establishments and currently partners with in spreading awareness about troubled and depressed teenagers (and how to deal with them). Help Your Teen Now aims to increase awareness on the current psychological and societal stresses of today's teens and how these factors affect the future of our society.

Twitter  ♥  Facebook  ♥  Website  ♥  Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...