January 23, 2013

Review: Glistening Haven

Glistening Haven by Jill Cooper
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Science Fiction, Dystopian
Release Date: November 20, 2012
Buy Links:

Amazon

Book Description:

A sexy dystopian novel, The Glistening Haven is set in the future where society's attempt for beauty and perfection nearly destroyed it. Murder, sex, duplicity and drama, join us in the world of New Haven 56.

Susan Monroe doesn't ask for much: good grades from her children, a house with room for a pool, to be the best Tupperware party host in New Haven 56.

But inside her tranquil 1950s styled community, a monster lurks. A monster that lives inside Susan, and every one of her superficially perfect neighbors, held in check by the oppressive police state that rules over them.

Susan's happy life is torn apart when her teenage son goes missing the same night an explosion rips apart the community. Susan knows it’s only a matter of time before the police start breaking down their doors.

Before the reconditioning begins and Susan's identity is lost, she must do one final thing.

Find her son.

♥ ♥ ♥


When I first decided to read Glistening Haven by Jill Cooper I picked it because the cover intrigued me. There was something about it that sparked interest inside of me and the description only made me want to read it more. But when I finally picked up the book to read it, it was nothing like what I thought it would be, instead it was a dozen times better!

I have read a lot of Dystopian novels over the past few months, thought I’d brush up on what to do after the world ended. Damn Mayans. The plot of Glistening Haven was fresh and inventive. Using society’s obsession with beauty as a way to create a whole new version of our species was intense and thrilling.

I had no idea the main characters in this story weren’t going to be human, or maybe they were more human than the actual humans. In this world Glistening’s are considered monsters and they live in several different enclosed domes around the country called New Haven.

The story is told through several different points of view, but the chapters are arranged in a way that it’s not confusing. I pretty much loved all the characters that I got to know throughout the story, but Jenna Morgan was by far my favorite. The plot was intricately woven and delivered almost flawlessly.

I don’t want to give away too much, but there are so many twists and turns in this story that the second you think you have everything figured out the plot throws a wrench into things. It is so difficult to come up with a truly original plot these days; Cooper hit the nail on the head with Glistening Haven. I’ve never read anything like it before.

We’ve got torture, love, friendship, violence, bloody death and a whole mess of corruption. As I said before I loved this story and I’m hoping there’s going to be a sequel! If Dystopian novels are your thing definitely check this one out. You won’t be sorry.



♥ ♥ ♥


Author Bio:

Author of the YA Dream Slayer series, Jill loves to blend horror, comedy, the supernatural, and love, through her novels. A fan of genre blending, her work strives to cross boundries, but most of all strives to entertain.

She loves soft cuddly cats, warm blankets, and paranormal romances.

Jill resides in Massachusetts, is constantly renovating her home that she shares with her husband, young daughter, and two skittish cats.




1 comment:

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...