February 3, 2013

Guest Post: Persistence of Memory - Liesel K. Hill

Persistence of Vision (Interchron #1) by Liesel K. Hill
Age Group: New Adult
Genre: Dystopian Fantasy
Release Date: January 29, 2012
Buy Links:

Amazon

Book Description:

In a world where collective hives are enslaving the population and individuals have been hunted to the verge of extinction, Maggie Harper, and independent 21st Century woman, must find the strength to preserve the freedom of the future, but without the aid of her memories.

After experiencing a traumatic time loss, Maggie is plagued by a barrage of images she can't explain. When she's attacked by a creep with a spider's web tattoo, she is saved by Marcus, a man she's never met, but somehow remembers. He tells her that both he and her creepy attacker are from a future in which individuals are being murdered by collectives, and Marcus is part of the rebellion. The collectives have acquired time travel and they plan to enslave the human race throughout all of history. The flashes Maggie has been seeing are echoes of lost memories, and the information buried deep within them is instrumental in defeating the collective hives.

In order to preserve the individuality of mankind, Maggie must try to re-discover stolen memories, re-kindle friendships she has no recollection of, and wade through her feelings for the mysterious Marcus, all while dodging the tattooed assassins the collectives keep sending her way.

If Maggie can't fill the holes in her memory and find the answers to stop the collectives, the world both in her time and in all ages past and future will be doomed to enslavement in the grey, mediocre collectives. As the danger swirls around her and the collectives close in, Maggie realizes she must make a choice: stand out or fade away...

♥ ♥ ♥



Hello Everyone! Thanks so much to Corina for having me here today!

Today I wanted to speak about the inspiration for my characters. This is something I really have to think about, because it’s not a readily obvious answer. I don’t base my characters on any particular or real life people. They all come out of my head.

For Persistence of Vision, I knew there would be what you might call an ensemble cast. I knew there would be a team, each with different abilities and personality traits.


Of course there was Maggie, the MC. We get most of the story from her point of view, so she starts off being very unsure and evolves. I wanted her to be brave, out-going and very ethical.

Marcus, I wanted to be sweet and soft-spoken. He’ll fight tooth and nail to protect the people he loves, but when it comes to things outside his control, he’s very accepting.

Karl I wanted to be a big lovable bear that was happy and funny and full of life. I knew he’d be the class clown and the comic relief. I did base his humor a bit on that of my family and brothers. We always have way too much fun when we get together and start razzing one another. I wanted to do this with Karl because of things that will happen down the line, in subsequent installments. I’ve found that the more the readers love a character and identify them with a certain attitude, the more affected they are when that attitude is no longer present in the character they love.

I knew I wanted a “mother hen” sort to be a calming influence on the team and to counter Doc’s father/grandfather-like presence. From that, Joan was born.

I wanted Clay to be shy and totally lovable. I made him the artsy type that accepts everyone for exactly who they are. That decision was due to what his role at the end of the book will be, which I won’t go into.

Doc had to be the wise, all-knowing but somewhat secretive leader of the team.

So, basically I tailored their personalities to what their roles in the novel, on the team, and in the group dynamic would be. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy because the characters inspire the story just as the story inspires the characters.

Thanks so much for having me here! Happy character-building, Everyone! :D

A big thanks to Liesel Hill for stopping by today! For more information on her and her books check out the links below!

♥ ♥ ♥


Author Bio:

Writes across three genres: scif/fantasy, historical fiction, and crime drama. Graduate of Weber State University and lover of all things fantastical! :D










4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Corina! The post looks great! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read and reviewed this novel for the tour later in Feb. I'm glad I've got more insight into the characters and Liesel's perspective on this now.

    I'm a new follower, I'd really appreciate it if you followed me back.
    Rose @ www.thecosydragon.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Liesel K Hill You're welcome! Thanks again for reaching out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rose Herbert Hey Rose,

    Thanks so much for the follow I followed you back! :)

    ReplyDelete

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...