A Matter of Fate (Fate Series #1) by Heather Lyons
Age Group: Young Adult
Release Date: August 30, 2012
Amazon ♥ B & N
Chloe Lilywhite struggles with all the normal problems of a typical seventeen-year-old high school student. Only, Chloe isn't a normal teenage girl. She's a Magical, part of a secret race of beings who influence the universe. More importantly, she's a Creator, which means Fate mapped out her destiny long ago, from her college choice, to where she will live, to even her job. While her friends and relatives relish their future roles, Chloe resents the lack of say in her life, especially when she learns she's to be guarded against a vengeful group of beings bent on wiping out her kind. Their number one target? Chloe, of course.
That's nothing compared to the boy trouble she's gotten herself into. Because a guy she's literally dreamed of and loved her entire life, one she never knew truly existed, shows up in her math class, and with him comes a twin brother she finds herself inexplicably drawn to.
Chloe's once unyielding path now has a lot more choices than she ever thought possible.
1. Because her mother is a Nymph and she grew up around plants, Chloe Lilywhite has a very green thumb.
2. Lizzie Pinksten, who is a Muse and one of Chloe’s closest friends, is slated to oversee a Spanish post-contemporary painter who will eventually go crazy thanks to her influence, ala Van Gough.
3. Cora Carregreen is the only one of the “Cousins” who is technically related to Chloe. Their family trees cross branches hundreds of years back, but as Magical families are small, even these distant relationships are valued.
4. Jonah and Kellan Whitecomb refer to an Uncle Joey throughout the book. Joey was, in fact, not their biological uncle (see above); his label was more affectionate than accurate. He was a Tide, meaning he oversaw oceanic conditions.
5. The aunt Jonah and Kellan refer to is named Hannah and was married to Joey. She developed a type of dementia after her husband died; the twins spent years helping to take care of her in Maine.
6. After moving to California, the Whitecomb twins frequent Mavericks to get their surfing fix. It’s a prime destination for big wave surfers, which both Jonah and Kellan are already, thanks to their Uncle Joey teaching them how to surf when they were in Kindergarten.
7. Karl Graystone and his wife Moira are huge food snobs. Both claim that had they not been Magicals, they’d have gone to culinary school.
8. Alex Himura is obsessed with all things Swedish (his whole bedroom is from IKEA). In an early draft of the story, he even went to Sweden before Ascending.
9. The girly movie Chloe gets Jonah to watch is Amelie.
10. Hometowns of the Guard Chloe works with: Raul Mesaverde—Madrid, Spain; Giuliana Arancionestella—Rome, Italy; Kiah Redrock—Perth, Australia; Kopano Melesi-Yellowbird—Gaborone, Botswana; and Iolani Popolohua—Kona, Hawaii.
Heather Lyons has been putting stories to paper since she was a little girl. Her first "published" book was a humorous retelling of The Princess and the Pauper. After detours in archaeology and teaching, she is now writing and living in Southern California with her husband and three sons. She likes cupcakes, baseball, hockey, reading, and collecting far too many handbags.
Check out the rest of the tour here.
Giveaway: (10) e-book copies of A Matter of Fate, open Internationally