August 7, 2013

Review: Escaping Me



Escaping Me by Elizabeth Lee
Age Group: New Adult
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Release Date: July 30, 2013
Buy Links:

Amazon

Book Description:

All she wanted to do was forget. Forget the memory of walking in on her boyfriend in the middle of, well, another girl. Forget how she had her entire life planned out. And, forget about being perfect all the time. 

Unfortunately, she was Whitney Vandaveer and despite the fact that she moved to the middle of nowhere—she couldn't.

He always knew he would never be more than nothing. No job, no money, no future. Cole Pritchett had accepted the fact that he would always be the screw up and he was okay with it. Until he met her.

Here's the thing they quickly found out—sometimes we all need a little help escaping who we think we are.

♥ ♥ ♥


I demand my very own Cole Pritchett this instant!

*glances around*

…Well? Where is he?

*sigh*

Okay, okay fine. I don’t demand, I ask nicely. Any takers? Haha. Escaping Me by Elizabeth Lee follows Whitney Vandaveer a 19-year-old college student who comes back to her Mother’s farm in the country after she walks in on her boyfriend cheating on her. Whitney hasn’t been back to the farm since her parents divorced when she was a young girl. With her Mother and sister doing their best to include her, Whitney just wants to forget everything that’s happen and try to start over. For once she wants to make her own choices no matter the consequences.
I’ve got to say it; I think this might be one of the best books I’ve read this summer. I really enjoyed Whitney as a character. I felt connected to her in so many ways. She lives with her Dad and stepmom in the city and she thinks she has a good relationship with him, but the truth is there are so many expectations put on her and she’s such a people pleaser, that she’s never really made a decision on her own.

Whitey, like so many of us, doesn’t want to disappoint her Father by contesting what he wants for her life and so she goes along with everything he wants and doesn’t even think there’s another way to do thing. That is until she moves in with her Mom and sister. They of course welcome her with open arms and I love that.

I love how they all fall so easily into a routine even though they haven’t seen each other in years. Whitney is a little stiff at first and uncomfortable with their easy affection because it’s not like that with her Dad. One of the things I adore about this book (despite the awesome supporting characters and believable plot) is that we meet Cole within the first two chapters of the book.

I’ve read a lot of books lately where the main male character just isn’t developed well or they’re brought in for a few scenes and we’re supposed to believe the two characters are in love, but not here. Lee does an amazing job of not only fleshing out Whitney, but fleshing out Cole as well. We don’t only see him when he’s with her, we see him with his friends and we get insight into his head and what his family life is like.

We know almost as much about Cole as we do Whitney and I love that! I love that he’s not just the love interest, but his own solid person that I totally want to touch…*coughs*. I really liked how they didn’t just fall for each other. Sure there was an instant spark, but they each had to work on it and overcome outside issues as well as internal ones.

I don’t want to give away too much of the story, but the end of the book or the last few chapters anyway are the best! And don’t get me started on how snarky Cole and Whitney are together. Do I need to remind you once again my love for snark? The Best! As a whole I absolutely enjoyed this book and will most likely be buying it in paperback if it’s available (because I need more books *snorts*) I would definitely recommend Escaping Me. Totally Pink Fluffy Hearts approved! Haha



♥ ♥ ♥


Author Bio:

When I'm not writing or playing the part of wife and mother, you can find me dancing back-up for Beyonce, singing back-up for Miranda, or sunning myself on the beach with a drink in hand. Here's the thing about being born and raised in a small town—you have a very vivid imagination! Now, I channel it all to create stories where the girl always ends up with the right guy, first kisses are magical, and a happy ending is just that!








No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...