October 1, 2013

Blog Post: One Girls Opinion of Obamacare...



I am angry.

I don't typically let myself get too worked up with politics and the government because it’s not really something I follow regularly. I don’t like politics plain and simple because the people in office are always trying to assign blame to other parties, when in reality it’s not one side, but both that are wrong. They were appointed to be the voice of the people and yet, the people are the ones who always get hurt.

But this morning Obamacare went into effect. Starting today, October 1, 2013 every uninsured American is required to have healthcare insurance. Yes, you heard that right, required. The choice has been taken from us. If any person that is uninsured has not signed up for Obamacare by the closing date of March 31, 2014 they will be fined at the end of 2014 when filing their taxes.

Does anyone even hear how ludacris that statement is? Let’s put aside the fact that you're taking away people’s choice in the matter, which is just plain un-American, but Obamacare has just given the green light for several large companies and corporations to cut back on their part-time hours, which means they would no longer have to offer and or pay insurance to their part-time employees thus indirectly forcing them to get Obamacare.
I’ll say it again, I’m angry. Maybe this policy would have been better received, at least for me, if it was optional, encouraging people to take their time, look into things and see if it’s for them. But the second you tell me I no longer have a choice is the minute I take a step back and ask why?

Whether or not I have health insurance is a personal issue. No one, not the government, not the president, not the Dalai -freaking- Lama has the right to force my hand. I think these officials over in Washington forget that we elect them. We are the reason they're there to begin with and they should be listening to people’s reactions on how they handle things and rectifying their actions based on what the people want, not what they think is best.

Democrat, Republican, Undeclared, does it matter? Regardless of your political party Obamacare affects us all. Everyone without insurance will be forced to get it and the fines will go up as the years go on. I realize that this act, this new policy is meant to be a good thing. It’s supposed to help the American people and I'm sure there are a bunch of people who are behind it, because hey, it wouldn't have passed otherwise. But I think that forcing people to do something they don't want to do, no matter how small is wrong.

We live in America, one of the greatest countries in the world. A country that was built on freedom and while this might sound dramatic of me; it’s the little things that count. First it’s forcing healthcare, what’s next? What else won't we be given a choice about later? If people don't ask questions, if they don’t stand for something, they'll fall for anything, isn't that the old saying?

I will not be opting in on Obamacare. You can fine me up the wazoo, but I will not be forced into buying healthcare that I do not want. Healthcare that despite its “affordable” cost, still adds an extra $300-400 to my bill paying. I refuse to be told I have to do something. I am an American citizen and that’s my choice.


6 comments:

  1. I am right there with you on this. Pardon my french but I think it is complete bull shit that they think that they have the right to make us do anything and punish us if we don"t do what they want. Let them try to fine me. I ain't paying crap. And if they try to make me then... well I guess I'll just earn my first ever trip to jail because I will straight up ninja kick a dang rabbit if they take my money for a fine over something I have the right not to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so furious about this! Exactly, they don't have the right to force us to do something and it really annoys me that they think they can! Haha nice way to look at it. I know this isn't my usual kind of post and I wasn't sure how people would take it, but I'm glad there are people who feel the same way! Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  2. Cori, I love this post. What galls me most of all is that the asshats who passed this health care law then EXEMPTED themselves from Obamacare! The epitome of hypocrisy. If Obamacare isn't good enough for Congress then it's certainly not good enough for the people who elected them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. Are you kidding me? They're exempt? That is ridiculous! I cannot believe they'd do that! I agree, if it's not good enough for congress it's certainly not good enough for us! Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  3. When you live in Germany and you are working, there is 13% from our salary that is paid 50/50 employee / employer paid for our health insurance so that everybody can go to doctors, and hospitals and if you are workless and registered as workless in your City the "Government" pays the Health insurance for you.

    xoxo,
    Anja
    For us it's normal we can add some extra insurance if we want. But nearly everybody has a health insurance. In the US you have to pay for everything yourself right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really sure how it works out here. I don't have health care, but I know some employers do pay for it and some don't.

      Delete

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...