Happy almost Halloween! In honor of October and our 13 days of Halloween special I bring to you a spooky recipe based on one of my favorite young adult book series. Wisteria by Bisi Leyton is a dystopian novel that's based around a virus mutating out of control and infecting people, turning them into zombies or what people in this universe call "Biters". It's a really creative read and the biters are only part of the story. But the series is good and definitely unique.
Anyways, I thought this recipe would not only be perfect for the book, but the upcoming holiday as well! Enjoy.
Vanilla Cupcake Recipe:
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes (It took 17 minutes in my oven)
Total Time: 25-30 minutes
1 Box of Pillsbury white cake mix
1 cup of milk
1/3 cup of oil
1 Container of Betty Crocker whipped vanilla frosting (or regular whatever kind you prefer)
Green food coloring
Black and White skull sprinkles (Wilton)
24 cupcake holders (black)
12 Milano double chocolate cookies
Black writing icing
Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cupcake/muffin pan with cupcake liners.
1. In a medium bowl mix together the cake mix, the oil, milk, and eggs. Beat together until smooth.
2. Fill the cupcake liners almost to the top. Simple right? We totally took the easy way out with the box mix this time.
3. Bake for 15 -20 minutes at 350°F. While baking cut Milano cookies in half and use black writing icing to write 'R.I.P' on each half of the cookie.
4. Let them cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then remove.
5. Mix green food coloring into icing. Decorate cupcakes with icing. Add one half of cookie to each cupcake and then use this zombie hand tutorial to create the hands out of green fondant. Add the skull sprinkles and you're done!