October 9, 2013

Review: My Sister's Reaper

My Sister's Reaper by Dorothy Dreyer
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal
Release Date: May 29, 2013
Buy Links:

AmazonB & N

Book Description:

Sixteen-year-old Zadie’s first mistake was telling the boy she liked she could bring her dead sister back to life. Her second mistake was actually doing it.

When Zadie accidentally messes with the Reaper’s Rite that should have claimed her sister Mara, things go horribly wrong. 

Mara isn’t the same anymore—Zadie isn’t even sure she’s completely human, and to top it off, a Reaper is determined to collect Mara’s soul no matter what. 

Now Zadie must figure out how to defeat her sister’s Reaper, or let Mara die … this time for good.

♥ ♥ ♥

Sixteen-year-old Zadie’s first mistake was telling the boy she liked she could bring her dead sister back to life. Her second mistake was actually doing it. My Sister’s Reaper follows Zadie as she deals with the everyday issues of being a teenager, boys, mean girls, a popular sister and as if that wasn’t enough Zadie isn’t exactly normal…

Magic seems to find its way into her life, wrapping around her and the people she cares about. Zadie’s journey to understand her past while trying to save her sister is chilling and powerful.

I loved this book. Not only is it a quick read, but the plot is original and interesting. Dorothy Dreyer has a unique style of writing that allows the reader to see inside Zadie’s head and experience things with her. I also really loved how we get right into things. There’s not a ridiculous amount of expletive (I despise when writers spell out every little thing, it makes me skim rather than read) and Dreyer describes things just enough that you can picture it, but on your own terms.
I love Lilura and Chase. They are probably my favorite supporting characters in the book. I know most people probably loved Gavin, but honestly he kind of creeped me out through the whole story. I know he’s the love interest, but Zadie’s infatuation with him was annoying and even though he always saved her when she needed it I felt like the fact that he was always there when something went wrong was fishy.

I liked Zadie’s best friend too and the whole teenage drama angle. It’s been a while since I read a YA book, I didn’t realize how much I missed them and My Sister’s Reaper was definitely a great choice to get back into it. I loved how fast paced things were and while I would have liked to see more of the aftermath at the end of the final fight seen other than that I don’t really have any complaints.


I’m looking forward to learning more about Zadie and Mara and their Mother in the next book! I would definitely recommend My Sister’s Reaper.


♥ ♥ ♥


Author Bio:

I’m a Philippine-born American living in Germany with my husband and two teens.

I write young adult books that usually have some element of magic or the supernatural in them. I also like to read those kinds of books. Aside from reading, I like movies, chocolate, take-out, coffee, traveling, and having fun with my friends and family. I’ve also been known to make a pretty sweet cupcake.

I tend to sing sometimes, too, so keep me away from your Karaoke bars.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing My Sister's Reaper and the giveaway. Sounds like my kind of book. evamillien at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! And you should definitely check out the book. :)

      Delete

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...