October 31, 2013

Review: Surrender (The Ferryman and the Flame #1)


Surrender (The Ferryman and the Flame #1) by Rhiannon Paille
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Paranormal, Fantasy
Release Date: November 9, 2012
Buy Links:

Amazon

Book Description:

How far would you go to save everything you ever loved?

Kaliel was warned about her love for the Ferryman. One day he will marry the land and leave Avristar forever. 

She doesn't listen, and because of what she is-- a Flame-- one of nine apocalyptic weapons, she sparks a war.

In a desperate attempt to save her home and her love, Kaliel tries to awaken Avred, not knowing she may have to make the ultimate sacrifice.


♥ ♥ ♥


“Bloom the weed of temptation and expire the great garden of life.” – Surrender

Surrender by Rhiannon Paille follows a young elven girl who is in the process of maturing into adulthood, something she can only do once she sees the Great Oak for her prophecy. But before that can happen, Kaliel meets Krishani and that’s when everything changes. Their connection is palpable and after just one meeting the love between them winds up destroying more than either new was possible.

Paille did a really nice job describing the world that Kaliel and Krishani live in. The details and imagery were some of the most vivid I’ve ever read and the story is intricate and woven through so many different characters, which is nice.


But as well written and descriptive as this book was, for me it sort of fell flat. There was a lot of expletive. I know that probably sounds odd, but sometimes less is more. The book felt longwinded and I didn’t here nearly as much from the characters themselves as I did from the author or the person telling the story.

I love dialogue and the fact that this all-consuming love between Kaliel and Krishani happened after just one meeting, doesn’t sit right with me. I think this was a little more fantasy than I was looking for. While I think the plot is original and unique I just couldn’t get into the book and it seemed to go on forever.

There were of course parts I enjoyed like the scenes with her childhood friend Pux and the scenes where she swims and the merfolk are there (mostly because I have a weird obsession with mermaids) and I like the sort of magic of it all and how everyone kind of has a purpose. But overall I think I thought Surrender was something that it wasn’t.


I think there’s a certain type of reader who gets into books like this and it’s the same sort of person who enjoys the Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit, two books I’ve never read and have no intention of reading because they aren’t really the genre I enjoy. I thought Surrender was going to be more of a forbidden love story and while it was, there was so much more going on and a lot of that was stuff that just went over my head. I wasn’t really interested in that detailed of a story.



♥ ♥ ♥


Author Bio:

Rhiannon is an up and coming Indie Author that writes Young Adult Fantasy books and some non fiction. She has a PhD in Metaphysical Science and Parapsychology. When she’s not writing books she’s reading minds, singing karaoke, burning dinner and sipping iced cappuccino despite her allergy to coffee. Some day she’d like to own a unicorn—as long as it doesn’t eat her. She's sold over 50,000 copies of her books worldwide.











No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...