As some of you may or may not know, one of my favorite shows on TV right now is The Originals. It's the new spinoff of The Vampire Diaries. The Originals airs Tuesday nights at 8pm on The CW and is quite literally one of the best knew shows on TV.
Family is power. The Original Vampire family swore it to each other a thousand years ago. They pledged to remain together, always and forever. Now, centuries have passed, and the bonds of family are broken. Time, tragedy and hunger for power have torn the Original Family apart.
Klaus Mikaelson, the original vampire-werewolf hybrid, has returned to New Orleans, the city his family helped build, the city from which he and his siblings – Elijah and Rebekah – were exiled a century ago by their relentless hunter father. Drawn back by a mysterious tip that a plot is brewing against him in the supernatural melting pot that is the French Quarter, Klaus is surprised that the city still feels like home to him despite the decades he’s been away.
I won't torture you guys with the entire summary of the show because damn, it's long, but I will give you my top ten reasons you should all be watching The Originals and it starts here.
10. Witches: I love witches, like really love them. I always have since way back when with Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Charmed. The witches in New Orleans are different from any other witches I've seen though and their background is pretty cool. Then of course there is the witch Davina. Not only is Danielle Campbell, the actress who plays Davina, incredibly talented, but Davina is badass! And she's only 16! I have a feeling she's going to do a lot of mind blowing before season 1 is up and it's definitely worth checking out.
9. Marcel: I have a serious love/hate relationship with Marcel. Some episodes I love him, others I just want to smack him a little so he'll tumble off my screen. Charles Michael Davis is ridiculously talented and when Marcel makes his "speeches" and lets face it he makes a few, I always find myself smiling. Marcel is charismatic and his storyline with Davina makes me want to hug him. He's a good villain because he's not so evil that you can't sympathize with him on occasion and his close relationship with Klaus makes things interesting.
7. Davina and Josh: This is a recent development and they aren't a couple, but they have the most adorable friendship ever. I just want to hug them. They are so genuine with each other and when living in a world of vampires, hybrids, and witches it's hard to find any characters that still have a certain innocence to them. But these two definitely have it. I love that they look out for each other and have sort of a us against the world attitude. It's seriously adorable. Pink Fluffy Hearts all the way.
6. Hayley: Originally I started watching this show because of Hayley. I was really interested to see more of her character and where they were going to take the baby thing (I'm totally Team Baby, haters can run away). I love her. She's witty, scarcastic, and badass despite the hybrid bun growing in her oven. I like that she's developing a friendship with Rebekah and the eye sex she has with Elijah drives me mad, I need them to happen. I think her presence really adds something extra to the original family and I'd love to see her grow closer to them and have a kind of family bond...before marrying Elijah and living happily ever after haha.
5. Klaus: I never really liked Klaus before The Originals. Elijah was always my favorite, but I absolutely love Klaus in this show. We get to see so many more sides of him then we did in The Vampire Diaries. He gets to not only be a hard ass, but he gets to show his more vulnerable side as well. Klaus has so many issues, but I think deep down he wants family and he wants to be worthy of his kid. And I really like the thought of him finding some kind of redemption in his child. Plus I love seeing him kill people haha it's wonderful.
4. Klaus and Hayley: I know people hate the thought of Klaus and Hayley together. But I'd really like to see them form some kind of connection that doesn't involve trying to hurt and or kill each other. I don't want them to be romantically involved, but these two characters are so much alike and now they're having a child together. I'd like to see them form a certain amount of respect for each other and even though Klaus has been mean to Hayley in the past, he's also kept her safe and cared for her in his own Klaus way. Whenever they are in scenes together I want to hug them because they have chemistry (not in a romantic way) and the scenes always show a different side of Klaus that I'd like to see more of.
3. The Mikaelson Family: As snarky, sarcastic, and dagger happy as they are, the originals have one of the best family dynamics I've ever seen on TV. Family means something to them and they are incredibly loyal to one another even when certain members of the family (Klaus) doesn't deserve it. There's been a fracture in the family for a few episodes now and it makes my heart hurt, but regardless of the kinds of scenes Joseph Morgan, Daniel Gillies, and Clair Holt have amazing chemistry as a family. They make me believe their emotions and all I want to do is crawl into the screen and hug them for being so awesome haha. I love ships, but I definitely watch this show for the family dynamics between the originals.
2. Elijah: Elijah is a BAMF. I mean seriously. He's the "honorable" brother and I love how he's so poised. He has been my favorite since The Vampire Diaries. He's just so proper, but when you piss him off or try to hurt his family, he will kill you. There are no words to express how amazing Daniel Gillies is. He plays Elijah so incredibly well. His loyalty to Klaus touches me. The guilt he feels for the past and the need to make his family whole. God, I just love him so much. I know it's just TV, But Elijah Mikaelson might be one of my favorite fictional characters ever.