May 25, 2014

Review: Shaken Not Stirred (Mixology #1)

Shaken Not Stirred (Mixology #1) by Alyssa Rose Ivy
Age Group: New Adult
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Release Date: January 7, 2014
Buy Links:

Amazon

Book Description:

Finding the perfect guy is like mixing the perfect drink. It's all about the taste and presentation.

Faced with a pile of med school rejection letters and no plan B, I took a job tending bar in a beach town while living with two male roommates. 

All of that would have been fine if I'd had a clue what to do with my life or if my love life wasn't just as pathetic as my career path.

But in the end I figured one of those things out—and I also discovered his perfect drink.



♥ ♥ ♥


I have read my fair share of Alyssa Rose Ivy books and I’ve got to say Shaken Not Stirred is one of my favorite plots yet not my favorite set of characters. Does that even make sense? Haha Shaken Not Stirred follows Maddy, a bartender living with her two male roommates and attempting to figure out what she wants to do now that she was rejected from medical school.

Now don’t get me wrong I really enjoyed this book. I had a lot of fun reading it and I think I’m really going to enjoy the series, but the highlight of the book for me was Macon. I absolutely loved his snarky banter with Maddy. I also really liked Maddy in general I thought she was a realistic and well-rounded character. But…I didn’t like Colin at all.


I think this is the first story of hers where I didn’t like the main guy. He was too bossy for my liking and he didn’t seem right for Maddy at all. He was uptight, controlling and couldn’t see what he did wrong when he did things wrong. Like obviously characters aren’t infallible, they’d be boring to read if they were, but he didn’t even admit he did stuff wrong and Macon and Brody had to spell stuff out for Colin and even then he was like…Uh, what?

The thing I always love most about Ivy’s books are the connections I feel to her characters because she creates these real people who have wants, needs, desires, and I can’t help but fall in love with them. And I had that with Macon like right away, I also really enjoyed Brody and I LOVED Colin’s sister Carly. Between Maddy, Macon, Brody and Carly there was definitely enough humor and emotion to keep me entertained and compelled.

I am glad that Maddy realized her feelings and went after what she wanted. I’m not going to lie, for a minute I thought Macon and Maddy might be endgame and I was totally sad they weren’t, but I do love their friendship and I hope we see more of it in the series. I’m really enjoying this series though, it’s a bit lighter than her Clayton Falls series (which is my personal favorite) and it’s fun and perfect for the upcoming summer season.


Colin dislike aside I really enjoyed this book. You should definitely take the time to read and formulate your own opinion on him because you might love him! 



♥ ♥ ♥


Author Bio:

Alyssa Rose Ivy is a New Adult and Young Adult author who loves to weave stories with romance and a southern setting. Although raised in the New York area, she fell in love with the South after moving to New Orleans for college. After years as a perpetual student, she turned back to her creative side and decided to write. She lives in North Carolina with her husband and two young children, and she can usually be found with a cup of coffee in her hand.








No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...