June 24, 2014

TV Review: Teen Wolf




Channel: MTV
Day and Time: Monday's at 10/9 EST
Release Date: June 23, 2014
Buy Links:


TV Show Description:

Two months later and still healing from tragic losses, Scott, Stiles, Lydia and Kira return to a new semester of school with more human worries than supernatural, while also trying to help their new friend, Malia, integrate back into society. But Kate Argent's surprising resurrection brings a new threat to Beacon Hills along with the emergence of another mysterious enemy known simply as The Benefactor.


♥ ♥ ♥

 4.01 "The Dark Moon" 06/23/14 - Review by Corina Lombardi

Two months later and still healing from tragic losses, Scott, Stiles, Lydia and Kira return to a new semester of school with more human worries than supernatural, while also trying to help their new friend, Malia, integrate back into society. But Kate Argent's surprising resurrection brings a new threat to Beacon Hills along with the emergence of another mysterious enemy known simply as The Benefactor.

 


First let’s talk about how awesome the opening to this episode is. Exotic setting, check. Stiles and Lydia bantering, check. Stiles and Lydia being awesome badass detectives and walking into danger like they own the place, check. I am so glad to see that their friendship is still in the forefront this season. I was super impressed with the setting and music and basically the whole feel of the episode.

The Mexican club was awesome and I really enjoyed the scene where Lydia and Stiles were talking to Araya and Stiles busts out… “What make you think we came alone?” God…so hot. I’m loving Stiles’ vibe this season even though I feel like there is more to his happy go lucky vibe then they’re letting us in on just yet. It’s only been two months since the tragedy of Allison and the Nogitsune afterall.





Also I LOVE Araya, like love her. I don’t even know why, I just think she’s awesome and I hope we get to see more of her through the season.

The montage in the club was great, though I could have done without the Kira and Malia dance, but that’s mostly due to my dislike of a certain coyote. I did love the song they danced to though! Teen Wolf always has such amazing music. It was nice seeing Kira be all awkward, that’s always amusing!



The fight scenes were epic and Scott was one hell of an alpha in this episode like OMG. The new credits actually worked really well with the vibe of the first episode, though there was a twinge in my heart at the lack of Crystal Reed. I don’t want to detail out the entire episode, but I’ve got to say minus a few things I really enjoyed it.

I went into season 4 with very low expectations and I think that was good, because I got a lot more from the episode than I was expecting. I really do love the way Jeff Davis write, I’ve said it a million times, that man is an evil genius. That being said there are a few moments from the episode that I loved and want to focus on.



Scott and Lydia:

The scene where Scott is tied up and he makes Kira turn the electricity on him instead of Lydia is one of my favorite from the episode. It just goes to show what we’ve always known about Scott, he cares about his friends and family more than himself and he would do anything to protect them. It seems like he’s really coming into his alpha powers and maybe even a new sense of confidence is following that. I love how concerned Lydia looks and how they have their own bond of friendship forming, one that was stronger than previous seasons. She is important to him not only as a banshee, but as his friend.





Scott and Kira:

We see a lot of moments where Scott is looking out for Kira and worried for her and where Kira is worried for Scott. The hesitation on both their parts is still palpable in this first episode and I actually like that. Allison’s death is still so fresh and I love that the writers are doing things right by Kira and Scott. The progression of their relationship is real and sweet and I’m so looking forward to seeing that develop not just in a romantic way, but a friendship way as well.


Scott and Stiles:

It has been so long since we’ve seen these two have fun scenes together. Or any scenes at all really, so every moment they were on screen together last night, was legitimately the best thing ever. We got to see their friendship, the bond they share, how much they care about one another and to see them both stepping up and taking responsibility and leadership within the pack. Stiles is definitely Scott’s right hand man and Lydia would totally be his right hand woman. My only complaint is I sort of wish we would have seen Stiles being a bit more chastising with Malia about the way she was treating Scott and Lydia, but I get the whole wild animal doesn’t know what she’s talking about thing. Still, it would have been nice to see him politely defend them.



Braeden:

I went into this not liking her too much, but I will admit. She’s badass and not so bad. I think that once I get a chance to learn more about her character, I’ll like her more. As long as she doesn’t wind up screwing Derek over, because people I’m so over that. Derek needs a girl who isn’t going to try and kill him for the right price. So we’ll see. That being said I LOVE the song she drove into the shot in. Badass music is badass.

Malia:

Even since the end of last season from the very first post interview on Teen Wolf as a whole has been pushing Malia’s character as this big, bad, funny, important pack member and honestly after the first episode I just don’t see it. I know I’m in the unpopular opinion group, and that’s fine because this is just that, MY opinion. We’ve just come off a season where we lost one of our core characters, everyone, characters and fans alike are still mourning Allison and the loss of Isaac and even the twins. And with all of the trepidation some parts of the fandom have been feeling towards Malia since last season, the best thing to do with that character is NOT talk about leaving Lydia behind and eating her. Yes, those lines are both meant to be amusing and are meant to break the ice because Malia has lived in the wild and this is just how she processes things. But really? You know you have fans who love Lydia already being all weary of Malia and instead of showing that she cares about other pack members and can be a good edition to the team effort you do the opposite. I found her to be more annoying than anything. I remember an interview where Dylan said he was afraid Stiles would come off as that annoying sidekick (or someone said it I can’t remember who) and how he thought people wouldn’t like him. Well that’s never been the case with Stiles, but it’s certainly the case with Malia for me.



Stiles:

I felt that Stiles spent more time trying to stifle Malia’s basic instincts to react first think later than he did sympathizing with his best friend and Lydia and that is in no way meant as a slight against Stiles, because hello I love him. I think it’s great that he has an infinite amount of patience for Malia, because that’s a very Stiles-like characteristic. Once he cares for someone he is loyal to a fault and I love that about him. But he could have been a little more upset about Malia wanting to leave Lydia behind and when she wanted to talk about Allison in the car…the look on Scott’s face killed my heart a little bit. Stiles could have been like “maybe now’s not a good time." It's out of character for him not to freak out and worry about Scott and Lydia. He's always been so protective of both of them throughout all 3 seasons.

But again I understand why he didn’t. The show needed to explain what was going on with Kate, who she was and what the deal was with that. Stiles also had some amazing banter with Lydia and some great scenes with Scott. I feel like there’s more to his “happy” attitude than we’re seeing though. I still think he’s very much hurting from what happened two months prior and I hope we get to see more of him dealing with the fallout from the Nogitsune over the season. Oh also I totally ship Stiles and his Jeep! haha.



Lydia:

…And here is where a lot of my focus is even though this review/recap whatever you want to call it is getting up there in words. I love Lydia. Lydia is my favorite female and always has been. And seeing her in the episode was heartbreaking. She did an amazing job of being badass with Stiles and demanding Derek and being super sassy and snarky. But she was overly sarcastic and while I love it, sarcasm has always been Lydia’s armor and she is suited up to the nines. She smiled ONCE in this episode and I’m not complaining at all. I think it’s very real and very in character and I love that even with everything going on you could still feel her pain just by the way Holland portrayed Lydia.

Now here’s where people are going to be nasty to me. I am all for Lydia learning more about being a banshee and coming into her powers. I think Lydia becoming her own hero is amazing. I love it death. But even as she’s helping the pack in the first episode, she also seems very isolated. The looks she shot at Malia, did not go unnoticed. She accepts Malia into the pack because of Stiles and Scott and I truly believe at this point that’s the only reason because she looked so exasperated in the episode. But the moment the jeep conversation happened with Stiles and Malia…the way the camera panned to Lydia and the look on her face, it was like she was finally realizing she was all alone.

This is going to be another unpopular opinion, but Stiles has been in love with Lydia for years and she hasn’t given him much to go on romantically. I believe she truly cares for him and she’s realizing now just how much, but at the same time I don’t want them to be a couple right now. I want them to build on their friendship and help each other through the loss of Allison and grow a little individually before finally coming together.

I want Lydia to realize what she lost in Stiles and I think that’s happening. BUT I desperately don’t want her to be the odd one out this season. I feel like Stiles is so focused on Malia, and Scott is focused on the pack and trying to figure out his relationship with Kira, and do what's best for everyone that Lydia is sort of left all alone without someone to talk to and comfort her.

She lost her BEST FRIEND and her SEMI-BOYFRIEND…the girl is forever alone and I desperately need for her to have some kind of connection this season so that she can deal with her pain too. Something felt off in this first episode to me when it came to Lydia and maybe that’s just her grief, but it’s so hard to see that even while she’s right there with the pack she’s sort of disconnecting herself from them at the same time…Does that even make sense? Oy…But yes. I need the Stiles Lydia connection and friendship to stay strong. I need her to have a real friendship with Scott and even Derek who is probably just as lonely. I really need her friends to make sure they’re there for her too, the way she's there for all of them.

Moving on....


Awkward Roadtrip anyone? That was mildly fun.

More Stydia snark which was awesome.





Scott’s alpha roar towards the end was epic.


And holy shit that cliff hanger. What the actual fuck? My confusion has sky rocketed to like a billion. I’ve got to hand it to Jeff Davis; guy sure knows how to throw a curve ball. I’m anticipating to see how things work out in the next episode and what else we learn. All in all, I really did enjoy the season 4 premier and I’m looking forward to seeing where the story goes from here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...