July 26, 2014

Review: The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner #1)

The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner #1) by James Dashner
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Science Fiction, Dystopia
Release Date: October 6, 2009
Buy Links:

Amazon

Book Description:

"If you ain't scared, you ain't human." 

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He's surrounded by strangers--boys whose memories are also gone. 

 Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. 

It's the only way out--and no one's ever made it through alive. Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.



♥ ♥ ♥


With the movie coming out in just under two months, I thought it was time to dive head first into this series which has been on my TBR list for quite some time. The Maze Runner by James Dashner follows Thomas as he wakes in a strange place, with strange people and no memory of who or where he is. I’ve got to say, this book wasn’t anything like I expected, honestly it was better. I don’t think I’ve ever read anything like this before.

The way Dashner describes the Glade and the detail that goes into building this world in the book is absolutely amazing. Like its ridiculous how I can close my eyes and picture it all in my head. I also really enjoyed the characters and the way they talked and lived. It was different seeing all these kids sort of band together and pull their own weight.


I loved Thomas. I’m enamored with him and I’m so glad Dylan O’Brien is going to be playing him in the movie, because after reading the book I know he’ll capture this characters essence and do it justice. I always worry about book being made into movies, because the words on the page are just so amazing and they take you to a place within your own imagination and not everyone’s vision is the same.

And with The Maze Runner, there are so many twists and turns with the Grievers and the maze itself and then the end…Oh my god. I didn’t expect that at all. Jeez. I had a bit of trouble with the beginning of the book, it dragged a little and it was frustrating knowing only as much as Thomas knew, but towards the middle things started picking up and then I couldn’t put it down! I was like holy crap *turns page*.


I also really liked Teresa. I love the connection she has with Thomas. I love their trust in each other and just, I love it all. There is so much in this book, things that make you laugh and things that made you made, but also stuff that makes your heart ache. All I wanted to do was hug Thomas at the end of this book. He’s got so much guilt and pain, just ugh. I really enjoyed this read and I absolutely cannot wait for t he movie!


♥ ♥ ♥


Author Bio:

James was born and raised in Georgia but now lives in the Rocky Mountains with his family. He has four kids, which some might think is too many but he thinks is just right.

Once upon a time, James studied accounting and worked in the field of finance, but has been writing full time for several years. (He doesn’t miss numbers. At all.) In his free time, James loves to read, watch movies and (good) TV shows, snow ski, and read. (Reading was mentioned twice on purpose.)

Most of all, he’s thankful that he gets to make a living writing stories and considers himself pretty much the luckiest guy on the planet.





No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...