September 18, 2023

REVIEW: Assistant to the Villain (Assistant to the Villain #1)


Assistant to the Villain (Assistant to the Villain #1)
by Hannah Nicole Maehrer
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Romantic Fantasy, Fairy Tale, Mystery
Release Date: September 5th 2023
Buy Links:

AmazonAudible

Book Description:

Once Upon a Time meets The Office in Hannah Maehrer’s laugh-out-loud viral TikTok series turned novel, about the sunshine assistant to an Evil Villain…and their unexpected romance.

ASSISTANT WANTED: Notorious, high-ranking villain seeks loyal, levelheaded assistant for unspecified office duties, supporting staff for random mayhem, terror, and other Dark Things In General. Discretion a must. Excellent benefits.

With ailing family to support, Evie Sage's employment status isn't just important, it's vital. So when a mishap with Rennedawn’s most infamous Villain results in a job offer—naturally, she says yes. No job is perfect, of course, but even less so when you develop a teeny crush on your terrifying, temperamental, and undeniably hot boss. Don’t find evil so attractive, Evie.

But just when she’s getting used to severed heads suspended from the ceiling and the odd squish of an errant eyeball beneath her heel, Evie suspects this dungeon has a huge rat…and not just the literal kind. Because something rotten is growing in the kingdom of Rennedawn, and someone wants to take the Villain—and his entire nefarious empire—out.

Now Evie must not only resist drooling over her boss but also figure out exactly who is sabotaging his work…and ensure he makes them pay.

After all, a good job is hard to find.


♥ ♥ ♥


"Don't let your boss quiver your insides, Evie."

With quotes like the above is it any wonder how in love I am with this book?

I know it may seem as if it took me far too long to read Assistant to the Villain, but the reality of it is, I've savored every single sentence of this book since the moment I opened the Amazon box it was in. I think I've been waiting for this book since before I knew it would be a book. I've followed Hannah's journey on TikTok, just like everyone since the beginning and so the anticipation I felt for this book was basically unmatched.

Not only did I have to read the physical copy I pre-ordered [ yay red edges! ] but I also needed to listen to the Audiobook version before being able to sit down and finally write my review. First - out of every book I've read this year, this may have been my absolute favorite. Not only was Evie absolutely precious, but the myriad of emotions Assistant to the Villain made me feel...I'm in awe.

From the short skits on TikTok, it was beyond clear that Maehrer was talented. But the way this story was woven together using fantasy elements as well realistic and relatable personal issues pulled me in and refused to release me until the very last page. And even then I was looking for more [ thank the gods there is going to be more! ]



There were so many fun characters throughout this novel and I love how we find out tidbits about each of them and how they all kind of intertwine with each other. Kingsley was priceless and I need my very own cursed prince frog with signs now. That's all. Evie and Becky and their little feud give me life. I love how they can be absolutely irritated with one another and yet when it comes down to it...they both do what needs to be done and kind of back each other up even if they don't want to.

I was pleasantly surprised to see we got chapters from Evie's point of view and the Villain's. I thought I remembered that was going to be a thing, but I was worried I imagined it - glad I didn't. Seeing into his mind, thoughts and motivations after getting to know Evie so well through the skits was a real treat!

One thing that felt utterly relatable to me and that I genuinely loved was seeing into all the things Evie had gone through, her backstory, things people she'd lost, how others in her village see her...all of that and yet still seeing what a good person she is. How she tries to do right by everyone and takes on the burden of taking care of those around her - putting everyone else first....and I think, seeing the changes in her and how she grows and stands up for herself and does what she feels is right even though it may be a bit gray at the end...it's everything okay?

And the twist toward the end??? The only thing I can possibly relate it to is that moment in Frozen, where Anna is nearly freezing to death and looking for True Loves Kiss and we all find out Hans is a douchenozzel of epic proportions. But you all know the moment I mean...where we gasped and reared back like DISNEY...ET TU BRUTE? HOW COULD YOU....Yes that's what I felt in this moment before the ending. Exact gasp.... the audacity! I can't even okay.

And ending on a CLIFFHANGER??? SOBSSSS why? But also I cannot wait to see Evie make everyone pay....get it girl!

I think the only truly negative thing I have to say is I didn't love the narrator of the book. She kind of fell a bit flat to me. I guess because when I picture Evie's voice and her general personality, she seems so bubbly and full of life to me. And the narrator just didn't bring that through. Her voice was sort of wooden and short and not very lively at all. So, while I would 100 PERCENT recommend this book, I would NOT recommend the audiobook version. At least not if you haven't already read the paperback yourself. Because if you're only listening to it, it's going to affect the quality of the story because it'll be hard to listen to.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥



Author Bio:


Creator of the "Assistant To The Morally Grey Fantasy Villain" series on TikTok! Stick around for more amazong adventures!

TikTokFabel Book ClubYouTube 










No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...