November 3, 2012

Author Spotlight: Jessica Sorensen



Today I'm pleased to welcome author Jessica Sorensen to the blog to talk a little bit about her novel Ember and being a writer.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated or did you always just know you wanted to be a writer?



I've always kind of knew I wanted to be one. Ever since I was a little kid, I loved to read and write. I even wrote my first Novella when I was eleven simply because I wanted to.

What inspired Ember, the first book in your Death Collector's series?

The idea for the character Ember came from a dream I had. The Reaper and Black Angel aspect was woven in after I got a ways into the story and needed some paranormal creatures related to death.

Is there anything you found particularly challenging when you were writing this new series?

The poetry. It's always been a challenge to for me to write it. Plus I had to write it from Ember's POV so I knew it had to be dark and kind of morbid.

If you could be one of your characters from any of your books, who would you chose? Why?

Probably Ella from The Secret of Ella and Micha because I'd get to hang out with Micha all day and drive some really awesome cars.

When writing Ember, was there anyone or anything who inspired the character Cameron?

All my characters in one way or another have a little bit of someone I know in them, but there isn't one single person their based on.

Do you have a preference between Cameron and Asher? Which one was harder to write? 

I think they're about the same. The both have their own qualities which make them fun to write about.

What are your favorite five Young Adult novels and why?

The Darkest Power Series by Kelley Armstrong,
The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare,
Maximum Ride Series by James Patterson,
the Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick,
and Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr.
These series were the some of the first few YA books I read and it helped me decide that it was the genre I wanted to write for.

Which do you prefer hard copy books or e-books? Why?

Ebooks are easier to get. All I have to do is push a button and I have a book to read. But I still enjoy going into a bookstore and browsing the book section.

What kind of weather do you write best in?

Winter, because I don't like going out in the snow so I end up staying inside more and writing.

In your opinion what three words best describe Ember?

strong, complex, and lonely

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer our questions! More information on Jessica Sorensen and her novels can be found below:

♥ ♥ ♥


Auhtor Bio:

I live in Wyoming with my husband and three kids. I’m the author of the Fallen Star Series, the Darkness Falls Series, and the Death Collectors Series. I also just branched out to the New Adult Contemporary genre with The Secret of Ella and Micha. I love writing and reading almost anything that is YA. Some of my favorite authors are Cassandra Clare, Sarah Dessen, Becca Fitzpatrick, Abbi Glines, Tammara Webber, Jamie McGuire and Jennifer L. Armentrout. I’m also an avid watcher of TV series The Vampire Diaries and of Modern Family.

I absolutely love music. When I’m writing, 9 out of 10 times I have music blaring in the background. My list of favorite songs could go on and on, since I have a very broad taste in music. But a few of my favorite bands are Chevelle, Rise Against, Alkaline Trio, Brand New, Death Cab for Cutie, Flight 409, Nirvana, and I’m going to stop there or else I’ll keep going on forever.

I don’t really have any favorite movies, but a few that I could watch over and over again are Anywhere but Here, Juno, Pride and Prejudice, The Hangover, and Bad Teacher.

If you’re interested in contacting me, here are a few options:

Twitter  ♥  Facebook  ♥  Website  ♥  Goodreads




No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...