November 3, 2012

Review: Ember

Ember Cover
Ember by Jessica Sorensen
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Release Date: August 29, 2012
Buy Links:



Book Description:

What if you knew when someone was going to die?

For seventeen-year-old Ember, life is death. With a simple touch, she knows when someone will die. It’s her curse and the reason she secludes herself from the world. The only person who knows her secret is her best friend Raven.

Then she meets Asher Morgan. He’s gorgeous, mysterious, and is the only person Ember can't sense death from. So when he pushes into her life, she doesn’t mind.

But when unexplained deaths start to haunt her town, Ember starts questioning why she can’t sense Asher's death and what he may be hiding.

♥ ♥ ♥


It’s finally happened; prepare yourself for the end of the world…

I’m Team Asher!

How I Met Your Mother Gif


Can you believe it? Because I can’t. Typically I am totally the bad boy type, but for some reason despite Cameron’s allure I’m madly infatuated with Asher. As per usual I have to open my review whilst declaring my love for my favorite male in the book. It’s just how I do things.

Ember, by Jessica Sorensen is amazing. The story revolves around 17-year-old Ember who with a simple touch knows when someone will die, which is why she’s a loner aside from her best friend Raven. This gift or rather curse has been her burden to bear since she was a child and it’s been slowly eating away at her life ever since.



Raven, Ember’s best friend is the only person who knows her secret at least that we know of. Ember lives with her depressed older brother and an alcoholic Mother. Her Father isn’t in the picture anymore and while I’d love to tell you why that storyline directly ties in with Ember’s whole crazy death gift, which if I haven’t mentioned before is awesome.

Technically Ember meet’s cocky, self-assured Cameron first in the cemetery of all places. Most people would think that’s a little creepy, but she feels this instant connection to him and at first I’m totally on board with this. I’m not sure at what point I decided I wasn’t crazy about him, but I think it was fairly soon after Asher came into the story.

Speaking of Asher, cue Raven dragging Ember to a high school party and her bumping into the most amazing guy ever aka Asher. From the minute they meet Ember knows something is different about him, because unlike everyone else when he touches her, she doesn’t sense his death.

Sorensen does a great job of showing the reader what’s going on inside Ember’s head and how’s she’s dealing with all the crazy stuff going on in her life. This plot is incredibly original and I love how she takes ideas like grim reapers, angels and kind of comes up with her own breed of bad guys. Actually bad guys isn’t accurate it’s more like this struggle between good and evil, right and wrong.

I love how detailed things are and the way Sorensen describes what Ember see’s when she touches people. The short, rapid descriptions paint a picture that sends chills up your spine. There are so many twists and turns and while there were hints about who was the bad guy, there were also twists that made me question things. I one point I think I thought everyone was out to get her and they were all working together, I was like oh my god poor Ember!

But that wasn’t the case, haha. From the second I opened this book I couldn’t put it down. It took me a day and a half to read and I would have been finished sooner if it wasn’t for the fact that I had to sleep. If you like a good paranormal, mystery type romance with a bunch of action and death thrown in, then Ember is the book for you. I would highly recommend it to lovers of young adult paranormal novels.

♥ ♥ ♥


Auhtor Bio:

I live in Wyoming with my husband and three kids. I’m the author of the Fallen Star Series, the Darkness Falls Series, and the Death Collectors Series. I also just branched out to the New Adult Contemporary genre with The Secret of Ella and Micha. I love writing and reading almost anything that is YA. Some of my favorite authors are Cassandra Clare, Sarah Dessen, Becca Fitzpatrick, Abbi Glines, Tammara Webber, Jamie McGuire and Jennifer L. Armentrout. I’m also an avid watcher of TV series The Vampire Diaries and of Modern Family.

I absolutely love music. When I’m writing, 9 out of 10 times I have music blaring in the background. My list of favorite songs could go on and on, since I have a very broad taste in music. But a few of my favorite bands are Chevelle, Rise Against, Alkaline Trio, Brand New, Death Cab for Cutie, Flight 409, Nirvana, and I’m going to stop there or else I’ll keep going on forever.

I don’t really have any favorite movies, but a few that I could watch over and over again are Anywhere but Here, Juno, Pride and Prejudice, The Hangover, and Bad Teacher.

If you’re interested in contacting me, here are a few options:

Twitter  ♥  Facebook  ♥  Website  ♥  Goodreads





No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...