May 5, 2013

Review: Devour

Devour by Andrea Heltsley
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Release Date: March 3, 2013
Buy Links:

Amazon

Book Description:

He wasn't supposed to remember.

Callie is a royal vampire. She hunts by taking the blood from her victims and erases their memories afterwards. She goes undetected until a victim named Chase approaches her with all his memories intact. He is intrigued and attracted. She is terrified. What happens when a human mixes with the immortal world? Chaos.

Callie’s 18th birthday has passed and she is coming out at the annual blood ball. Will she find a mate or will she suffer the repercussions of her indiscretion? She is brought to the Vampire council and they must decide what to do with Chase. Do they kill him, or turn him to protect their secret?

♥ ♥ ♥


I’m having mixed feelings about Devour by Andrea Heltsley. The story starts off with Callie, a royal vampire, and her friend Jane going out for a hunt. While at the club Callie finds a human named Chase to feed on and everything from that point on goes to hell. Now I really enjoyed this story. The writing is flawless and it kept me so engaged that I finished the book within a day.

I loved the characters, especially Cody and Jane. But I’m unsure how I feel about the instant love connection. In vampire society, especially the royal ones, every girl has a coming out at what they call a Blood Ball. The whole point is to find their mate, who they will bond with and spend the rest of their unlife with.

I get the concept and I don’t dislike it, but at the same time before the Blood Ball and before everything that happened with Chase (which I will not spoil for you) Callie was dead set on going to college and not worrying about a mate until after she finished school and experienced things. But then she and Cody shared blood and everything changed.

Her entire life became about Cody, and while I love him because he’s hot and sweet, I would have liked to read them getting to know each other better and experiencing things together before they mated. I like the process leading up to the commitment or relationship, just as much as I enjoy the actual relationship.

Other than that I have absolutely no complaints about this story. I really do hope there is a sequel so we can learn more about vampire lore as well as see what is going to happen with Cody and Callie now that they’ve entered the mating process among other things. Heltsley did a great job of creating characters that I want to get to know better. You never can go wrong with vampires!



♥ ♥ ♥


Author Bio:

I am a biology nerd who decided it was more fun writing than dissecting. I have written three novels and four more will be out in 2013. I live on coffee and read like a robot. My husband and two italian greyhounds usually have to tear me away from the computer...imagine that. :)











No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...