June 26, 2013

Review: Confessions of an Almost-Girlfriend (Confessions #2)



Confessions of an Almost-Girlfriend (Confessions #2) by Louise Rozett
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Contemporary Romance, Realistic Fiction
Release Date: June 18, 2013
Buy Links:

Amazon

Book Description:

Rose Zarelli has big plans for sophomore year—everything is going to be different. This year, she’s going to be the talented singer with the killer voice, the fabulous girl with the fashionista best friend, the brainiac who refuses to let Jamie Forta jerk her around...

...but if she’s not careful, she’s also going to be the sister who misses the signals, the daughter who can only think about her own pain, the “good girl” who finds herself in mid-scandal again (because no good deed goes unpunished) and possibly worst of all...the almost-girlfriend.

When all else fails, stop looking for love and go find yourself.

♥ ♥ ♥


Rose is awesome.

I pretty much read Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend immediately after finished Confessions of an Angry Girl, which made things that much better for me since everything was so fresh in my mind. While I enjoyed the first book in this series the second book is by far my favorite. In Confessions of an Angry Girl we see Rose getting mad a lot, but 90 percent of the time we didn’t see her actually do anything about that.

Well, in Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend, Rose has finally found her voice. Typically when reading young adult novels I’m drawn in by drama and a really good love interest, but not in this case. I really love the story that Louise Rozett is telling. She takes her time developing her message and then implements it in a way we can all relate to. Rose and the life she is simultaneously running from and trying to figure out is realistic and empowering.


Rozett gives us a main character that is not only relatable, but that we can genuinely feel things with and for. In Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend, Rose is still working through her grief for her Father’s death, but she is also trying to define herself while attempting to survive her sophomore year of high school without any more incidents involving Regina or the swim thugs.

But of course that doesn’t happen. I have to say I really enjoyed some of the new characters that were brought into the story and as always Angelo was awesome. He and Rose might be my favorite two characters in general. While I liked Robert in the first book, I did not like him here. He’s a stuck up liar who only cares about himself.

And that statement brings me to Kathleen and Tracy. I don’t like either one of them. I honestly felt like they give Rose so much crap and half the time I don’t understand why they’re so angry with her when she was perfectly in her rights to react and respond the way she did during their disagreements.

Rose really grew into herself in this book though and a big part of that was learning how to control her anger and finding things she was good at like singing. As much as I love Jamie, and believe me I do, I’m still missing that connection with him that makes me feel like he’s perfect for Rose. Sure they had some sweet moments, but ultimately he didn’t treat her the way she should be treated.


All in all I really enjoyed Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend. I definitely hope there’s a third book in the series! I need to know what happens with Rose!

The Rundown

Five awesome things about this story

-Rose finally stands up for herself
-Angelo and his super transformation
-The Sharp List (How Tracy used a negative to create a positive)
-Rose's transformation and blue streaks!
-The sweet 16 dinner for Rose

Five worst things about this story

-Peter being a grade-A jerk
-Robert being a pretentious liar
-Jamie being confusing
-Rose's Mom disabling comments on the website and soooo many other things she does
-Matt!


♥ ♥ ♥


Author Bio:

Louise Rozett is an author, a playwright, and a recovering performer. She made her YA debut with Confessions of an Angry Girl, published by Harlequin Teen. The next book in the series, Confessions of an Almost-Girlfriend, is due out June 2013. She lives with her 120-pound Bernese Mountain dog Lester (named after Lester Freamon from THE WIRE, of course) in one of the world's greatest literary meccas, Brooklyn...and also in sunny Los Angeles. (Being bi-coastal is fun!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...