February 14, 2012

The Patron Saint Of Lovers...


Or Why I think Saint Valentine Is Epic.





It’s that time of year again people. Saint Valentine’s Day. The sun is shining, the air is crisp, there are paper hearts and red balloons littering stores all around you. Flowers, candy, frilly little red and pink decorations for your enjoyment…



What was that? You’re not excited? You want to curse the existence of men? You want to throw anti-valentine’s day parties and drink? Geez, you guys are intense. Look, just because it’s Valentine’s Day that doesn’t mean you need a boyfriend or date. I am boyfriend free and yet I still love Valentine’s Day, then again about thirty minutes ago I also got a very beautiful arrangement of flowers in the mail, but I digress.

Back on track, Valentine’s Day isn’t just about all the goopy stuff you do for the person you love, or the chick you’re banging. For me it isn’t about how commercialized the holiday has become or who gives me what. I might be the only person left who truly enjoys the meaning of the day or the aura around people who are happy or in love, or in massive heat, whatever works.

People forget that the day is based on an actual person. Saint Valentine was a Roman priest who defied Emperor Claudius II, by performing secret marriages in church for young couples in love. The emperor realized that unmarried soldiers fought better than married ones, because the ones who were married worried what would happen to their families if they died in battle. So, good old Claudius has an edict that prohibited the marriage of young couples.

Valentine new it was an unjust decree so he basically said ‘bitch please’ and married couples anyway. But of course, like all amazing and awesome bad boys he got caught and tossed in jail. While he was there he met and fell in love with a blind girl who was the daughter of Asterius, one of the men who was set to judge his sentence.

Poor Valentine, that certainly didn’t work in his favor. Anyway in the year 269 AD, Valentine was sentenced to a three part execution of a beating, stoning, and finally decapitation all because of his stand for Christian marriage. The story goes that the last words he wrote were in a note to Asterius' daughter. He inspired today's romantic missives by signing it, "from your Valentine."

So you see? Valentine’s Day isn’t just about candy, flowers and boyfriends. It means something real. It signifies one man’s sacrifice for love. Now, I’m not sure I’ll ever find true love or if I’ll ever be able to find a boyfriend I can stand for more than a week or two, I’m a fickle bitch, but I absolutely love the idea of love. I love that there are people who are willing to sacrifice for what they believe in. So, that’s why I celebrate Valentine’s Day and why I can’t help smiling and loving seeing people happy.

It’s not about me, not really it’s about the possibility of love and the fact that there are still people willing to fight for it.

For more information on Saint Valentine mosey on over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...